In order to reach Dahlgren from my parent's house, we have to drive over the Potomac River Bridge. In order to drive over the bridge, we have to pay a toll. You would think this process would be uneventful. Not so in Dahlgren, Virginia. On Sunday night, when we drove up to the toll booth the lady said, "Hold on a minute, I'll be right back, no matter what I yell." We had no idea what to expect. She walked over to the other side of the booth and screamed "KEEP ON GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!" Then she came back, took our money and we were on our way. I thought maybe she was talking to another car when she yelled, but as we drove away, we saw that there was no one else around. Who knows. We chalked it up to yet another strange Dahlgren experience.
Despite the many hours I have to read my Bible, there have been too many days here where I just haven't read it. I am not proud of this fact and though I blame it on things like feeling off because of pregnancy, or feeling uninspired in this room, it's still a bad habit. This morning, I was determined to catch up on some of the things I failed to do yesterday, so one of the first things I did was to open my Bible and read. Soon after I started, I heard someone coming down the hall, knocking on all the doors yelling "SUPPLY". This is different than the usual person who knocks on all the doors yelling "HOUSEKEEPER". I am used to people yelling at all hours and knocking on doors, but I've never heard them say supply before. I had my 'privacy please' sign on the handle of the door, so I wondered if she would knock. I kept reading, trying to ignore the noise outside the door. Soon enough, she came to my door. I guess my plea for privacy didn't mean anything to her. She came in and told me that she needed to check some stickers around the room. She went around the room, looking at random things and grunting. As she headed out the door, she told me she would be back, because our microwave was lacking a sticker. Then she turned the light off on her way out the door. As with so many things here, I just sat in the chair shaking my head thinking, who knows. What I do know is that Satan is very clever in his attempt to distract me from reading God's word. I could never even imagine that I would be interrupted by someone coming to check stickers in my room. I am thankful for a Savior who loves me even when I fail; who knew that I would put TV, internet, and random other things before Him, yet who still came to die on the cross for my sins so that I can spend eternity with God.
Only three more weeks here in Dahlgren. I can't wait to see our stuff again, to be near our friends and the beach, to be able to eat somewhere other than Wawa and Taco Bell without driving 45 minutes, to be able to cook without being afraid of catching a disease, to be back near a normal sized gym and commissary, and the list goes on. These couple months will have certainly been a memorable experience however, and Sam and I will forever have some very funny memories of our time here.
Wow, you really are collecting ridiculous stories in that little town! So glad you can see the humor in your not-so-fun situation!
ReplyDeleteAnd I totally connect with letting things like internet, tv, and any little distraction keep me from getting into the Word (I say this as I'm on my computer and the tv is on at the same time!) Thanks for the reminder that Satan will use anything to keep me from growing in Christ.
I love you and I'm praying for you! Three weeks--you can do it!!
Hi Em and Sam: Since Dahlgren is such an interesting and fun place (Disneyworld North?) I'm sure you probably haven't run into James Davie, a sailor from our church in Wichita who is also stationed at Dahlgren for (I think) radar training. He has been assigned to New Mexico (lots of ocean front there!) but he is probably over at the Wawa, even as we speak, buying "Hot Pockets" for dinner! If you run into him, tell him that his parents' Sunday School class is praying for him...and to stay away from that Potomac Bridge Lady. She sounds dangerous! Uncle Dave
ReplyDelete