Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Contentment

It has been a long week already here in Dahlgren. Sam passed his last test on Friday, so we figured it was going to be smooth sailing for the last two weeks. We completed phase 1 of our move back this past weekend, when we moved all our stuff out of my parent's house. The idea of moving our stuff from my parent's house, in addition to the stuff in our storage unit has been stressing me out since September, so I felt a great sense of relief when it was all packed and we had a plan for how to get it back. I came here on Sunday night with a sense that things were finally about to get back to normal. Monday was a disappointing reminder that we are not back to normal life quite yet. I always feel sad on Mondays here. After spending the weekend with family, in my cozy childhood home, it's always a shock to wake up here. Sam had a really long day yesterday and I'm afraid this will continue for the next two weeks. We had a rushed dinner together and then Sam stayed at school until about 9:00 last night. He is still at school now, no dinner break tonight, so it looks like another long evening alone for me.

As you can tell, I'm struggling with contentment right now. I am definitely wishing time away and I know I shouldn't be. While Sam was deployed, I wished for the time when he would come home. When we were living in friends' guest rooms, I wished for Dahlgren, so that we would no longer be imposing on people and would have our own space. Since day one of being in Dahlgren, I've been wishing for Sam's school to be over so that we can go back to our life. I would appreciate your prayers for a joyful and content spirit, even though the weeks are dull, gray and lonely. I'm excited about getting back, but I know that all too soon it will be time for Sam to head to Maine and I will be wishing time away yet again. I have to constantly remind myself that God is sovereign and he will take care of me through the uncertainty and the unknown. He has been so incredibly faithful to us and I know that He never changes and will remain faithful. I know that he cares about the details of our lives and has the power to work out these details.

On a brighter note, I am so thankful for all that my sweet family has done for me over the last several months. They have housed me, fed me, cried with me, listened to me, helped me move, taken our Honda to get fixed multiple times, collected our mail and just been amazing. They are a wonderful example of hospitality, grace, servant hood and unconditional love. I am so blessed! Weekends in MD have been a wonderful break from the lonely, monotonous days here in Dahlgren and I will miss being so close to family and spending so much time together.

"Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us." Psalm 62:8

1 comment:

  1. You truly are blessed by an amazing family. I'm so glad you've had them to lean on during the "waiting" season. I'm sure they feel blessed to have you around too periodically :)

    ReplyDelete