Tuesday, March 8, 2011

6 months old

My baby will be 6 months old tomorrow. I can't believe it. How is that possible? It's crazy and a little scary to think that he will be a year old in the same amount of time it's been since he was born. And every month seems to go by faster than the last, so I'm feeling mildly sad and panicked about how soon he won't even be my little baby anymore. I seriously have wanted to cry (from joy and nostalgia) as I watch him learn new things every day. Yesterday, I was reading to him and he was sitting up, supported by a pillow and he leaned forward, while keeping himself upright to grab the book I was reading him. I was like, "who are you??!! and where is my little baby??"

He's been moving himself around like crazy. He doesn't roll over, but he can get himself pretty far, considering.



He started out facing a different direction in the middle of his play mat.


Something about this position just doesn't look safe.

He is so engaged in his surroundings and the people nearby. He's constantly squealing, cooing, babbling, blowing raspberries, laughing and smiling. He is so fun to have around and I'm really not sad that he's learned all these things in the last 6 months.

I have no desire to go back to the newborn days, because this is a ton more fun. I just know that he's going to keep growing so fast and there's nothing I can do to stop it! I feel like the months of him sitting still at all are coming to an end, so I try to treasure every moment where he's cuddly. He's so interested in his environment that I'm quite confident he will be into everything when he learns how to really move.

He has been sleeping amazingly the past few days too! We finally found our magic sleep trick. I gave him a blanket that a sweet lady from our church in MD made him and since the day I gave him that, he hasn't cried once while falling asleep. It's amazing. I've tried giving him other blankets and it didn't make a difference, but for some reason, he loves this one. I rock him for a few minutes, sing a song, then put him down with the blanket and he goes right to sleep, with a few grunts at most.


I am so thankful to have found something that works! He's been sleeping for 12 hours the past few nights and taking a 1.5-2 hour nap, plus two 45 minute naps. This blanket has seriously changed our lives.

I'm so so thankful for my precious baby boy. I feel unbelievably blessed and undeserving of this amazing gift. I can't wait to see how much he grows and changes in these next 6 months!

2 comments:

  1. happy 6 months to sweet Joel. Can't wait to meet that little bundle of joy. SUCH a cutie pie.

    ReplyDelete