Friday, March 18, 2011

When will I learn?

Today has been a great day. 80 degree weather. A walk with a great friend. A Starbucks Frappucino and a sleeping baby. Life is good. I love spring time. I love driving around and seeing all the trees blooming. I love being able to walk outside and not freeze to death. I can't wait for Joel to wear all his cute summer clothes. I can't wait for my husband to actually live at home for more than a few days at a time.

I always want to ingrain these days in my mind so that when days come that are not so lovely, I can remember that God is good.



I'm also feeling relieved today, because Joel's six month appointment is over. Does anyone else get physically anxious before well check ups or am I just crazy? I know I am a little crazy, but I wonder if anyone else feels this way. I'm always sure they are going to tell me that something is wrong with him (and I hate watching him get shots). Especially a visit like yesterday where I knew I was going to have to tell them that he doesn't roll over. I also always have a list of other things I want to ask about, which when they all pile up in my mind add up to something horrible.

Every time, his doctor says he's doing great and I feel so relieved! She said he's an "above average sized" baby (I bet you couldn't tell that) and sometimes they take longer to learn gross motor skills. He was definitely doing all the other things they asked, which was encouraging. One of the big things that was really stressing me out is that he holds his arms back on his tummy most of the time, instead of pushing up on them. He holds his head way up and he can put his arms in front of him and does when there is a toy he wants, but he generally just fusses and puts his arms back.


(Evidence that he can use his arms when he wants to..)

His doctor put him on his tummy to observe this and said that it's the position a baby who really doesn't want to be on his tummy takes and not to worry about it.

On the way to his appointment I was sure she was going to tell me he has cerebral palsy and then we weren't going to be able to get out of the Navy, because we'd need the health insurance and....yeah, you can laugh at me. And I do this every time, even though, deep down I know he's fine.


(I try anything and everything to try to get him to enjoy his tummy more.)

So that is why I need to remind myself that God is good. He gives us good gifts, just because he's gracious, merciful and unbelievably loving. I don't need to go looking for trouble when it's not there. And I will revel in days like this when that's easy to believe.

And if Joel isn't doing the million things they said he should be doing by his 9 month appointment, I'm sure I'll still be going there with an anxious feeling in my stomach, waiting to hear some bad news..because that's how I am=)

I read this verse a few days ago and I've been waiting for a good post to use it..

Psalm 126: 2-3
Then it was said among the nations,
“The LORD has done great things for them.”
3 The LORD has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment