I took a child welfare class in college and it changed me. It angered me. It confused me. It caused me to question things I'd always believed.
I was required to memorize lists of reasons why children are better off if their mom works and puts them in day care- less chance of sexual abuse, less chance of the mother and children being plunged into poverty if things don't work out with the dad, more satisfaction for the mother, higher educational achievement for the children.
I had to memorize lists of the consequences related to spanking- increased chance of violence and incarceration, increased chance of physical abuse, increased chance of teen pregnancy and substance abuse.
I saw pictures and heard stories of grotesque things that are done to children in the US and abroad.
My professor ranted and raved about the injustices toward women in our society and the dangers of being dependent on a man.
She specifically bashed Dr. Dobson and Focus on the Family as well as Christians in general.
It's taken me two years to sort through the lies I was taught in that class. I know better than to believe many of those things, yet they still got to me. Sometimes I actually feel guilty for not putting Joel in daycare...like I'm depriving him of social stimulation and educational experiences, not to mention the financial benefits of two incomes.
It's scary to me how convincing lies can be. Lies are easy to believe because they cater to our natural tendencies. It's easy for me to believe that I have rights as a woman and that I can and should demand respect from my husband. It's easy for me to embrace reasons to avoid spanking my child because I know it will feel uncomfortable and unpleasant. It's easy to associate what feels good with what's right. That's natural.
In the face of these lies, I have to constantly remind myself of the Truth. I am called to live differently than the world around me. I am called to step out in faith and make decisions that might seem scary or uncomfortable, rather than seeking comfort and ease. I am called to sacrifice my wants, needs and desires for the good of those around me.
Phillipans 2: 5-8
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
There really are so many lies in our culture about parenting. I hate hate hate the lie that say that I need to have a "real job" in order to be valuable and live a fulfilling life. Thanks for sharing these thoughts!
ReplyDeleteThanks Emily I needed that Truth and Scripture this morning =) You are an awesome mom and seeing the pictures of your sweet baby boy say it all!! He's as happy as can be with his family!
ReplyDeleteWe were working on the book "Lies Young Women Believe" in the middle school Bible study this past fall, and talked about how the thing about lies is that they sound like they could be true... ugh. It's so good to be reminded of the Truth through each other!
ReplyDelete