Saturday, February 19, 2011

A hope and a future part 2

So here is the continuation of my post from yesterday...

Many people encouraged me to get my masters degree and I was very seriously planning to do that until right before I graduated. I felt sick every time I thought about it. I had absolutely no desire to do more school, or to even be a teacher by that point. I really wanted to have a baby. But it seemed like the wise thing to do and we wanted to be wise.

We took a trip to Hawaii before Sam deployed that summer and while we were there we decided that I was not going to get a masters degree simply because it was the safe thing to do.



We decided that we would wait to find out about Sam's next ship and if by some miracle, he wasn't going to deploy, we would try for a baby. A few weeks later we got the news that he was going to a pre-commissioned ship that would not deploy while he was on it. God had clearly answered our prayer for direction.

9 months after Sam got home from deployment we were blessed with our sweet baby boy.


What a precious answer to our prayers. Every day I am thankful that we decided to follow where we believed God was leading us, rather than following the cultural norm (even in Christian culture!). I have not regretted for one second that I'm not a student working on my masters. I love that I don't have more college debt to pay off and that I can stay home without feeling like I have an expensive degree that I should be using. Though it has it's difficult and unglamorous moments, I really am living my dream.

Do these decisions make getting out of the Navy much more scary? Absolutely. Does our faith in God mean that Sam is sitting around doing nothing and waiting for God to drop a job in his lap? No. I am so proud and thankful for how hard Sam is working on figuring out what he's going to do next. He takes his responsibility to provide for our family very seriously and I do not take that for granted.

Sam is planning to submit an important application in the next month or so, and I've been feeling physically anxious just thinking about what the outcome will mean for our family and our life. I will be clinging to these verses in Psalms. Whether God chooses to work things out the way we want or not, He has not changed, so I can rest assured that he will take care of us one way or another.

3 comments:

  1. Such a great posts Emily. What a big new phase of life you all are embarking upon. So refreshing to see how you are clinging to God in the midst of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting and encouraging! I will be praying for you and your family as you make these transitions! I'm so excited to see what God has in store for you! Let me tell you, being at the beginning of another deployment - the thought of potentially getting out in a few years is starting to get more appealing. When the time comes, I hope we can have the courage to go where God is leading us rather than maybe the "safe" choice - whatever that might be. Miss you guys. Give Joel a little kiss for me on each of those chubby cheeks! Aimee

    ReplyDelete