I was reading this blog post the other day about how the way you spend your leisure time should reflect your priorities. Leisure time in and of itself is kind of a fuzzy area in life right now, because it's not necessarily clearly defined. I used to always hold Joel while he slept during the day, because he would sleep much longer. Now he sleeps great in his crib for about 45 minutes, but often won't go back to sleep unless I hold him (which is another post in itself), so whatever I was doing is suddenly interrupted and I find myself with what could be considered "leisure time", yet I'm not exactly able to use it however I want.
I was convicted by the blog post above because I feel like the way I use that time often is not in line with what my priorities are. One reason I made this blog public again is so that I'd be more motivated to use that time and other "down" time I have to blog instead of just aimlessly looking on the internet. The Frugal Girl, whose blog I'm referring to, talked about choosing leisure activities that make you feel refreshed.
Though checking Facebook 50 times takes less energy than writing a blog post, I feel less refreshed after doing that and I feel like I wasted my time. Sam and I joke about what is so enthralling about Facebook that we feel the need to check it all the time. Not that much really changes within a few minutes. But you never know. If I don't check, something amazing could be happening and I might be missing it.
For the first few months of Joel's life I felt like I was just surviving. We were traveling a lot and Joel had no schedule. Now his schedule is getting a little more consistent and he doesn't need me quite as much. I feel like I'm entering into a new phase and I want to make sure I'm using the time I have in meaningful ways.
I can't stand to have projects or tasks unfinished. I have a hard time starting something, then being interrupted and not being stressed out until it's finished. I'm not a great multi-tasker. I like to put all my attention and energy into one thing. I wish I was better at going from one thing to another, but I'm not. I have used that character trait to justify wasting time when I know I'm going to be interrupted, because I don't want to be feeling distracted while taking care of Joel. I've been thinking though that it would be better to be distracted by doing something productive or at least edifying than to be distracted because I want to finish the TV show I was watching or check Facebook 10 more times. I think it's fine to watch TV and check Facebook, but I know I've been spending too much time doing those things and then I feel drained instead of refreshed after my "leisure time".
I feel like so many people have so many skills that I don't have and I wonder how they find the time to do those things. I know I'm never going to be super crafty and creative because I have way too much OCD, but I can use my time to better develop skills and interests that I do have, or to improve in other areas that will benefit my family and glorify God. If I want to have more time for those things, I need to start by cutting back on TV and Facebook.
I'm hoping that writing more frequently on this blog will help me get in the habit of using my free time to do something I enjoy and something that makes me feel refreshed, but is more productive than watching The Secret Life of the American Teenager.
No comments:
Post a Comment