Today I’m thankful for the little things in life that make me appreciate the mundane things I often take for granted. Joel has been sick for a couple days this week. He was lethargic and clingy and completely not himself. Though there are nice things about a snuggly day filled with movies and chilling out (and a 20 min drive to the Dr and trip to Target...), I have been so appreciating him playing and talking and being silly like normal. Playing trains and talking about letters and coloring have given me a renewed joy today as I appreciate the gift of health. (I actually wrote this yesterday and the day ended with a bath, a load of laundry full of sheets and blankets and lots of scrubbing of the carpet, so I spoke a little too soon about him being completely better...still thankful to have the fever gone at least.)
I’m also thankful to have a 12 week old baby this week. I love this stage and I’m happy that the early, exhausting and overwhelming days of having a newborn are over. I know some people love that stage, but I love the stage of smiles and coos and (mostly) only one middle of the night wake up.
One of the surprising things I’ve found about having a kid is the joy of getting to know them. I always wanted a “baby”. I was never really super excited about the idea of having a kid. Little did I know how incredibly fast the baby stage goes and how quickly I would be launched into having a real, live kid. I love getting to know his personality though, hearing his many thoughts and hilarious comments about life and enjoying his unprompted affection and encouragement.
Babies are sweet and snuggly, but they can’t come up and wrap their arms around you to say “I love you Mommy” or “Is your head feeling better?” or “You’re beautiful”. They also can’t run away from you, hit you, yell no or argue, which is why, though there are many exhausting moments, I think this phase of having kids these ages is a sweet blessing. Each kid helps me to see the wonderful things about the other.
Great work and great writing!
ReplyDelete