Sunday, April 10, 2011

Seriously??

I think that no matter how carefully you choose a name for your child, you will discover things about the name that you wish you'd known before you destined your child to that name forever. We thought Joel was a pretty safe and simple name. I told people his name all through my pregnancy and people always responded with..oh Joel, that's a great name. I figured sharing his name during my pregnancy would eliminate any last minute revelations about something awkward associated with his name. Well, I was wrong.

Strangers talk to us ALL THE TIME when we go out. In the grocery store, in the mall, whether I like it or not, they always want to talk to the baby. And they usually ask what his name is and I say "Joel".

Then they usually respond with, "oh Jewel? What an interesting name..." I can not tell you how many people have thought I said Jewel. Yes, I named my son Jewel. Really?? I was at my doctor the other day and the lab tech specifically said.."not Joel, but Jewel right? I like that." I don't think she still got that his name was in fact Joel. A nice strong, masculine name, or so I thought.

Yesterday, in the commissary I got a new one. I tried really hard to make sure his name didn't sound like two syllables that would resemble anything like Jewel. So she got the one syllable part, but just missed the first letter. "Oh Dole..that's an interesting name." I didn't even correct her. I just tried to politely walk away as she went on and on about how if my baby was hers, she'd be putting his face on a cereal box. Maybe Dole would like to have his face there, but I'm not sure about my son, Joel.

Is Joel really that strange of a name that no one understands it? What is wrong with me that I can't say my son's name in a way that people understand? Has anyone else run into unexpected issues with their child's name??


Does he look like he would be named Jewel? I don't think so.

4 comments:

  1. No, but he sure is a gem! Love that face. I always got 'what a cute boy' even when Fidget was all in pink. Well, to be fair, she was bald for a long time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I tell people Phoebe's name a lot of people think I said "Baby". And I am like "no, I didn't name my baby, "baby"". But I definitely live in a part of the world where "Baby" would not be an odd name for a girl, nor would "Jewel" be an odd name for any baby. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eben's name has been difficult like you're finding Joel's to be. I'm always spelling. Not E'v'an but E'b'en and then v sounds like b so forget it! Keep enjoying the struggle. You and Sam know why you named him as you did...and that's that. All through high school my locker was next to a Joel. He was a jewel of a guy. One of God's chosen. So's your Joel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing wrong with the name Joel whatsoever. I have known several Joel's, so I am baffled why people would find it so hard to understand. But there you have it. People are just so weird! :P

    ReplyDelete