Saturday, July 17, 2010

Crazy pregnancy dreams...

I have had so many crazy dreams lately. (I had a dream where I was fighting alien creatures on another planet, a dream where I introduced our child to Sam at King's Dominion..yeah a lot of weird ones). They usually feel so vivid when I first wake up and then I always forget them, so this one I'm recording. In real life, I read this week that 1 in 3 people have C-sections, so I guess that's been on my mind a lot. I am also 10 days away from 34 weeks (but whose counting??), so the time after that has been on my mind.

Last night I dreamed that I went to the Dr. at 34 weeks and I said something to the nurse practitioner that made her think I needed to have a C-section right then and there. I was unsure about this and asked if it was really necessary and if it needed to be right then. She said it was either then, or I could wait until the next morning if I wanted. I decided I might as well go ahead with it then, so I stood facing a wall while she gave me a numbing shot in my back. Then she told me she would be right back. A long time passed and she still hadn't returned, so I started second guessing this decision. I decided to call Sam, you know, it might be good to mention that I was about to have our baby. When I called him he was like, finally, I've been trying to call you 40 times and you didn't answer. He was looking for some important paper for the ship. I interjected and said, well I kind of need to talk to you about something too. I told him about the C-section and he was like, Why are you doing this?? I didn't really know, so he told me to tell her not to do it. I agreed and realized it was a bad idea, especially considering I didn't have a lot of things I needed for the baby and I really wasn't ready, and it was still early for him to be born. Finally, the nurse practitioner came back and I told her, sorry, but I don't want to do this. She was fine with that and I went on my merry way. On the way home, I realized that she never did the normal part of my appointment, listening to his heartbeat, etc. so I was concerned about that.

I was very relieved when I woke up and realized that this was not real! I think it reveals many of the things I'm unsure or concerned about in the upcoming weeks though. It's funny because the nurse practitioner in my dream was the one I saw the day I was having contractions, so I have negative memories associated with her in real life as well. I've been thinking a lot about what happens after 34 weeks, if I start being more active again, if that would cause Joel to come sooner. I've been thinking a lot about when to buy the last minute things I still need and what exactly to buy. I've started thinking a lot more about labor and delivery and how I hope it will go. Anyway, all of this is very evident in this dream, so I thought I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment